Gov. Whitmer Allows Detroit Casinos to Open Aug. 5August 5, 2020
Detroit’s three casinos — Greektown Casino-Hotel MGM Grand Detroit, and MotorCity Casino Hotel — have worked together on protocols to ensure the safety of all patrons amid reopening. Casino officials have said they have been preparing for weeks to reopen following the Governor’s order in March to close.
“Together with the other two Detroit casinos, we felt like we wanted to take a conservative approach in terms of the protocol that we’re agreeing to,” David Tsai, president and COO of MGM Grand Detroit told The Detroit News. “We want the opportunity to demonstrate that you can open a business and do it safely. We will be enforcing these protocols and enforcing compliance.”
“I think that one of the things that’s interesting is with casinos, we are in a position to probably enforce a lot of these regulations more than other industries because we are a highly-regulated business,” Tsai continued. “We’re used to enforcing strict rules.”
Below is a list of changes guests can expect to see at each establishment.
MotorCity Casino Hotel
- Reopens to the public at 10 a.m. Wednesday.
- Masks are required for customers and will be provided if needed. Masks and/or face shields are required for associates.
- Temperature checks and screening questions for associates and customers.
- Every other slot machine will be shut down and seating removed from table games.
- Social distance and traffic flow signs and markers have been posted.
- Smoking is not allowed inside the casino. It is permitted in the outdoor smoking area.
- Cash is not accepted as payment for hotel rooms. Guests must pay with an authorized credit card.
- Reopens to the public at 2 p.m. Wednesday.
- Team members, guests, and vendors will be required to wear masks. Temperature will be taken upon entry.
- Slots and tables will be restricted to at least every other gaming position.
- The hotel, fitness center, poker, self-service beverage stations, and valet will remain closed.
- Banquet services will remain suspended.
- Dining options will be limited to Prism and Stack’d.
- No large drawings, tournaments, or special events.
- Casino will be non-smoking. Two areas will be designated for smokers outside.
- Plexiglass at cashier cages, table games, and promotion centers.
MGM Grand Detroit
- Reopens to the public at 10 a.m. Friday.
- Face masks are required to be worn by all employees and guests
- Smoking will not be permitted on the casino floor. An outdoor smoking area has been created near casino valet.
- Table games and slot machines have been configured to allow for appropriate physical distancing between players.
- The Poker Room will remain closed and Pai-Gow Poker and Craps will be unavailable.
- Restaurants and bars will have limited hours and reduced seating.
- The hotel is closed, but accepting reservations for stays beginning Aug. 18, 2020.
- IMMERSE spa and MGM & Co. retail shops are temporarily closed until further notice.
- Valet parking will be closed. Building entry will be available only through the self-park garage.