Employer and Employee Resources for Addressing Opioid Addiction in the WorkplaceJanuary 9, 2019
At the 2018 Mackinac Policy Conference, a panel of business and government leaders discussed the state’s opioid epidemic and how it impacts employers of all sizes. One of the resulting Conference To-Do items was to “provide useful and easy-to-implement strategies for Michigan businesses to help employees and their families prevent, and if needed, address opioid addiction.”
As part of that effort, below are some resources to help employers educate themselves on the issue and proactively address opioids in the workplace head-on.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Employer Opioid Resources Guide
- National Safety Council Employer Drug Toolkit
- U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration video – “Chasing the Dragon”
- American Society of Addiction Medicine
- Michigan Opioid Addiction Resources
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Opioid Abuse and Addiction Prevention
A new law passed in Michigan last summer helps break down barriers to opioid addiction treatment by not penalizing individuals who report an opioid overdose, to ensure the afflicted individuals get the treatment they need.
Opioid abuse is one of myriad wellness topics employers should be cognizant of. The new Wellness Works website, launching in February, will provide health and wellness resources for employers and employees alike covering a variety of relevant topics. Wellness Works was created in partnership between the Detroit Regional Chamber, regional chambers of commerce, and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.