Download the 2017 State of the Region
The Detroit region is a united 11-county area that encompasses more than 300 municipalities with rich geographic, human and business assets. Home to more than 300,000 businesses, including 11 Fortune 500 companies, 5.4 million people and numerous education institutions, the Detroit region has the talent, resources and cutting-edge facilities to drive innovation. Download the full report.
Some highlights from the report:
- Patents granted grew by 8 percent in 2015 and ranks Detroit No. 1 for patent growth amongst its peer regions.
- Regional unemployment continues to edge closer to the national average, with Detroit only .8 percent above the national unemployment rate.
- The Detroit region’s one-year growth rate in 2015 was 4.2 percent.
- Detroit led its peer regions in median home value growth at 10.7 percent between 2014 and 2015.
- For a third straight year the Detroit region has outpaced the national average for private sector job growth.
- Detroit continues to lead it peer regions in STEM occupation growth at more than 18 percent since 2010.
- The Detroit region leads Silicon Valley in the number of patents granted for vehicle location, navigation and relative location (data processing) by more than three to one.
- In 2015, foreign held companies announced 41 projects, investing $1.7 million dollar and created 6,100 jobs in Michigan.
For companies interested in supporting this event in the future, please contact Jim Connarn at 313.596.0391.