Michigan PPE Requirements for ReopenMay 29, 2020
View a full list of requirements in the Governor’s MI Safe Start Plan, which includes general guidelines for phases of reopening, or view list of the main requirements below.
PPE Requirements for Reopening Businesses
According to EO 2020-97, there are several prerequisites for businesses to open, separated by industry – here are a few of them:
- Masks are required to be worn in public.
- Non-medical grade masks are required to be provided by the employer for the employee.
- Social distancing must be maintained and enforced:
- Minimum of 6 ft.
- Non-essential retail locations are open by appointment only.
- Capacity of public spaces and businesses has been reduced:
- Less than 50,000 square feet of customer floor space: 25% of the total occupancy (including employees)
- Greater than 50,000 sq. ft. must:
- Limit the number of customers in the store at one time (excluding employees) to four people per 1,000 sq. ft. of customer floor space.
- A COVID-19 preparedness and response plan, consistent with recommendations in Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19, developed by the Occupational Health and Safety Administration and available here.
- Daily entry self-screening protocol for all employees or contractors entering the workplace, including, at a minimum, a questionnaire covering symptoms and suspected or confirmed exposure to people with possible COVID-19.
- Restrict business-related travel for employees to essential travel only.
- Promote remote work to the fullest extent possible.
Other useful related information:
- Hand washing is recommended.
- COVID-19 Testing allowed without doctor order by dialing 1-888-535-6136 OR visiting michigan.gov/coronavirustest.