Here is what to know about the effort to reduce crashes caused by distracted drivers, which Whitmer called for in her first State of the State speech in 2019:
MICHauto has long-supported legislation to prevent distracted driving and was in attendance as it was signed into law yesterday. Read more about the signing here and its impact in the article below.
Crain’s Detroit Business
June 7, 2023
Michigan is the 26th state with a hands-free cellphone driving law after Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed legislation on Wednesday.
When does the hands-free phone law take effect?
What was the old law?
What does the new law change?
What are the exceptions?
- Calling 911 or first responders.
- Using a GPS or navigation feature as long as the information is not entered by hand.
- Using the device in a voice-operated or hands-free mode. It will be permissible to use a single-button press, tap or swipe to activate or deactivate the device or to select a name or phone number. It also will be OK to use permanently installed user interfaces integrated into the vehicle.
- Using the device if it is mounted and used in accordance with other exemptions.
- Working as a first responder or utility worker responding to an emergency or testing or operating an automated driving system.