The Detroit Region’s resurgence is a byproduct of historic opportunity and unprecedented alignment of business, government and philanthropy. Sustaining momentum requires a regionally focused strategy that transcends politics. The Detroit Regional Chamber is the organization and Forward Detroit is the strategy for sustaining long-term prosperity.
“Forward Detroit is a game-changer that will allow us to compete globally for talent, investment and jobs.”
– Sandy Baruah, President and CEO, Detroit Regional Chamber
The strategy aims to serve as Michigan’s leader in shaping and executing the Detroit region’s collaborative pro-growth policies and programs by building on the Chamber’s economic development and advocacy expertise.
The Chamber will seek funding from the business and philanthropic communities for Forward Detroit to drive economic development and help the region achieve long-term prosperity. The initiative’s goal is to raise $20 million by the conclusion of 2021.
Forward Detroit’s mission is to assist in helping the state of Michigan become a leader in shaping and executing the Detroit region’s collaborative pro-growth policies and programs at this unique moment in history that sustains our region as one of the fastest growing in the U.S.
Some of the Detroit region’s successes:
- The region has outpaced the national private sector job growth rate by 3.6 percentage points.
- Among the top 50 MSAs by population, the Detroit MSA has the 19th highest growth rate in real GDP from 2010 to 2015, at 12.2 percent.
- Experienced an 8 percent growth in patents granted from 2014 to 2015. Accounting for more than 3,300 utility patents in 2015, this is the most ever recorded for the region in a single year.
- 109 foreign firms invest $3.8 billion in 2014
Read the Forward Detroit blog to stay up-to-date with all the happenings in pushing the region forward!