DCAN Summer SupportAugust 11, 2020
Detroit College Access Network’s summer support is all about staying connected with Detroit students and families over the summer to help them stay on track to their post-secondary plans.
In a school year rife with obstacles, the incoming summer months revive a familiar but COVID-untested challenge for higher education: as many as 40% of low-income students who are accepted to college in the spring fail to attend in the fall, a trend commonly referred to as “summer melt.”
To combat summer melt, DCAN is working in partnership with the Detroit Chamber and Detroit Drives Degrees to ensure the class of 2020’s students do arrive — virtually or otherwise — to class in the fall. DCAN is offering free services to high school students (including the class of 2020), current college students, families/parents supporting students and adults seeking to enroll in a college or career program.
Workshops and one-on-one advising are available for:
- Researching programs/colleges/careers
- Completing applications/required documentation
- Financial aid process
- Soft skill development (e.g. time management, study skills)
- Student advising available for anyone seeking guidance
- Support for adults seeking a career change
- Support for adults who want to finish or start a program
To learn more, go to https://www.detroitcan.org/summer.
Follow DCAN on social media: