Director, Government and Community RelationsJune 1, 2022
Vice Chancellor for Student Services
Administrative Staff Exempt
Collegewide (Bloomfield Hills, MI)
Sunday, June 26, 2022 at 11:59pm
Summary of Purpose:
The Vice Chancellor for Student Services is the Chief Student Services Officer and is responsible for leading, directing, and providing strategic direction for all student services operations and functions at the College.
The Vice Chancellor for Student Services provides vision for the College’s student services mission, develops and implements the student services strategic plan, identifies emerging opportunities to promote and support student success, and is responsible for the following student services areas at the College: Enrollment Services, College Readiness/Counseling, Athletics, the Registrar’s Office, the F1 International Student Advisor Office, Student Life, the Secondary Partnerships Office, and the Student Financial Resources and Scholarships Office.
The Vice Chancellor for Student Services will also be responsible for Student Life initiatives and fostering an inclusive and diverse culture that leads to success for all students.
This description is intended to indicate the types of duties and responsibilities requested of the employee assigned this title. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required:
1. Coordinates the overall planning, development and management of Enrollment Services, College Readiness/Counseling, Athletics, the Registrar’s Office, the F1 International Student Advisor Office, the Secondary Partnerships Office, Student Life and the Student Financial Resources and Scholarships Office.
2. Provides vision, leadership, and accountability in all student services areas, and works collaboratively with administrative staff and leadership to successfully implement student services goals and initiatives.
3. Works collaboratively with campus Deans and Associate Deans of Student Services, the Student Engagement Coordinators, and the campus community to support student development activities and programs which enrich and support Student Life.
4. Develops a cohesive vision, and works with the Chancellor’s Executive Council in preparing, developing, and monitoring the College’s student services strategic plan to ensure that the institution is positioned for continuous improvement to meet current and future student needs.
5. Serves as the point of contact for student cohorts including, but not limited to, the State of Michigan programs: Futures for Frontlines, MI Reconnect, Secondary K-12 Partnerships, MI Best, MI Bridges, Promise Zones, and others.
6. Develops policies, guidelines and opportunities for college-wide student services activities.
7. Serves as the Chief Conduct Officer and Appellate Officer for the Behavioral Assessment Review Team (BART) decisions related to student breaches of conduct as published in the OCC Student Handbook.
8. Co-Leads of the College Threat Assessment Team and member of Mental Health Task Force.
9. Receives, manages, and resolves internal and external non-academic issues and concerns.
10. Interprets and updates appropriate student services processes and policies for students, faculty, administrators and the community.
11. Develops and oversees the annual budget in all designated student services areas of responsibility.
12. Oversees compliance with regulatory and accrediting agencies, as required, and ensures compliance with the Higher Learning Commission and Department of Education requirements.
13. Assists and delegates the search process to select qualified applicants to fill authorized vacancies in the student services division.
14. Coordinates reviews and analyses of student services operations for operational efficiencies, and makes recommendations to maximize organizational effectiveness.
15. Performs other related duties, as assigned.
16. Ability to work additional hours, as needed.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
• Knowledge of higher education and community college philosophy, theory, and practice.
• Ability to communicate and develop cooperative working relationships at a multi-campus community college.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully manage student services operations and initiatives.
• Demonstrated leadership and experience in all areas of student development, higher education administration, and student success initiatives.
• Designs and delivers student services initiatives that support the mission, vision, goals, values, and strategic plans of the College.
• Identifies long-term College-wide student services needs and areas for potential improvement, while incorporating input from stakeholders into the planning process.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze student services data and other related information to prepare reports and recommendations.
• Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and initiative in analyzing problems and recommending solutions.
• Demonstrated knowledge of student services laws and regulations and the ability to make decisions in accordance with laws, regulations, and established policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the use and application of current information systems and programs, including but not limited to College utilized software solutions: Ellucian Colleague, Maxient, Perceptive Content – ImageNow and Terra Dotta.
• Demonstrated ability to prepare and present technical written and verbal reports in a clear and logical manner.
• Demonstrated ability to speak and present information in front of large groups of people.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Administrators, Department Heads, staff, union officials and the public.
• Ability to engage in collaborative decision making and leadership
• Ability to work effectively in a large complex organization.
• Possession of a valid Michigan driver’s license and an operable insured automobile for authorized travel.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirement:
EDUCATION: Master’s Degree required; Doctoral or equivalent advanced degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Ten (10) years of professional experience with at least seven (7) years of progressive leadership and administrative experience in student services and higher education. Demonstrated success working in student services at a community college, university, or higher education institution.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
• Senior level administrative experience preferably at a university or community college.
• Higher education administrative and leadership experience.
• Additional demonstrated experience beyond the minimum experience.
• Knowledge of best practices in onboarding and retention of diverse student populations.
• Experience in strategic planning directly associated with student services and student success.
Oakland Community College has retained The Hunter Group to lead this executive search. For more information, contact The Hunter Group’s Managing Partner, Blaire Miller at email@example.com or telephone: 248.515.3520.
Required Documents Message:
Cover Letter, Resume